Sew You Want to Take Up This Amazing Hobby?
Perhaps you’ve finally bitten the bullet and accepted that your household chores involve more stitching than a basic needle and thread can handle. Perhaps you were taught needlecraft at school, and are now coming back to it as a potential adult hobby.
Whatever your reason for setting out on your stitching journey, you need to start off with the right tools. You want a machine that’s designed with beginners in mind. A machine that’s easy to use, and forgiving of mistakes. A machine that you can just sit down and work with, rather than spend hours figuring out its little foibles and tricks.
The following reviews should help you choose the make and model that’s right for you, and enjoy a comfy beginning to your sewing journey.
Best Sewing Machines for Beginners
#5: Singer 1234
The Singer 1234 definitely starts out with the beginner in mind, offering a free online owners’ course. It is an easy to use, durable machine, with a metal frame. Threading is quick and easy – a real blessing when you’re just starting out! Many people have given up sewing the first time they encountered the challenges that can accompany getting thread through a needle, so making a machine that takes as much of the hassle out of this first step as possible is definitely a good idea.
The Singer 1234 is designed for very thin, lightweight fabrics. This is fine if you’re looking to explore hobby sewing, and learn as you go, or if you have the money to upgrade your machine as your skills and ambitions increase. However, it is not ideal for those who anticipate doing a lot of household sewing, or who want to get straight in to making craft items..
This model also has a tendency to jam, making it better suited to occasional use, rather than a regular workload. If all you are looking for is something to do a few quick fixes and basic projects, however, the Singer 1234 shouldn’t present you with too many issues.
It also includes a fun and simple tote bag project, so you can have the satisfaction of a practical item you made yourself!
- SINGER FREE-ARM SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Start 1234 Free Arm Portable Sewing Machine has 6 Built-In Stitches including a built-in 4 step...
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE: This lightweight and portable machine weighs only 7 pounds, making it great for sewing in smaller spaces or taking...
- AUTOMATIC BOBBIN WINDING SEWING MACHINE: To wind a bobbin, simply follow the numbered diagram printed on top of the sewing machine. The...
#4: Brother XM1010
At the time this was written, we recommended the Brother LS2125i – that model has been replaced by the XM1010. In some ways the new model is better, but it’s a fraction less user-friendly.
The Brother LS2125i is lightweight and portable, with a built-in carry handle. If you’re taking sewing classes, this makes the machine an ideal option, as it is easy to transport, even if you’re traveling on foot.
Designed for beginners, the LS2125i includes an easy to follow instruction manual. This sets you up to get straight on with learning your machine, saving you time and hassle.
A basic range of accessories are included, offering the flexibility of learning new skills as you go.
As with most beginners’ machines, the LS2125i can only handle lightweight fabric. This shouldn’t be an issue for the absolute beginner, but, if you have basic skills and ambitions as regards your sewing, it is worth bearing in mind that this machine probably won’t cover everything you’re planning.
It is also difficult to disassemble, meaning repairs will most likely have to be done by a specialist shop, which is obviously an additional expense.
- FULL-SIZE, LIGHTWEIGHT PORTABLE SEWING MACHINE: The Brother XM1010 is a lightweight yet full-size sewing machine designed for everyday use.
- 10 BUILT-IN STITCHES: The XM1010 features 10 unique built-in stitches, including blind hem, zigzag, and stretch stitches and one four-step...
- CONVENIENT FEATURES: This machine includes an automatic bobbin winder, a jam-resistant drop-in top bobbin, an easy stitch selector dial, and...
#3: Singer 7258
The Singer 7258 offers automatic needle threading, meaning one less fiddly task for the beginner anxious to get on with the real business of sewing. It continues this theme with an easy-load bobbin system.
The work area of the 7258 is brightly lit, meaning that, even when working on dark fabrics, you can see your stitching clearly. This is important, as you need to spot mistakes and uneven stitching promptly if you are to avoid a lot of hard work further down the line.
The 7258 completes its beginner-friendly, hassle-free functionality with a built-in, automatic buttonholer, saving the novice sewist from a fiddly job, whilst allowing you to complete fun projects like quilt covers and shirts.
- SINGER COMPUTERIZED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Stylist 7258 sewing machine boasts an array of features that make creating elegant garments...
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to the needle's...
- HIGH SEWING SPEED: The SINGER Stylist 7258 sewing machine sews up to 750 stitches-per-minute, projects can be sewn quickly. Use the speed...
#2: Janome DC1050
The Janome DC1050 is a good, solid, product, ideal for the absolute beginner. It is computerized, making it intuitive to use. With over 50 pre-set stitches, this machine has everything you need to complete any project. There is a memorized needle up/down function, enabling you to easily remove or adjust fabric safely, and the fast-touch navigation means you’ll be sewing away in no time.
The DC1050 is quite loud when in use, and it can be a little slow if you’re working on larger projects. For quick, simple repair jobs, however, neither of these things will really be an issue. The slow running is also ideal if you’re not used to sewing machines, as it ensures the machine’s pace matches your own.
- 50 stitches
- 3 one-step buttonholes
- Needle up/down button
#1: Singer Easy
Finally, the Singer Easy to Use is ideal for beginners with ambitions, as it offers an extra large work space. It also has an automatic threader, and simple, one-touch stitch selection, all attractively presented in a vintage-inspired, contemporary designed sewing machine. The vintage styling makes the Singer Easy to Use an ideal gift for an older relation who is reluctant to surrender their manual sewing machine. Familiarity and enhanced functionality, perfectly blended together in one easy to use machine.
The one-touch stitch selection is a little over-enthusiastic, and very sensitive. Make your stitch selection with your hands away from the machine, and be very certain of what you want! It has also been remarked that it is difficult to keep the auto-threader in alignment, but this is more of an inconvenience than a problem, as such.
- SINGER SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Tradition 2259 portable sewing machine features 19 built-in stitches, a built-in 4-step buttonhole and a...
- HIGH PRESSER FOOT LIFTER: The SINGER Tradition 2259 sews several layers of thick fabric. The presser foot can be raised to a higher position...
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: Best sewing machine with a built-in needle threader, quick-and-easy threading, adjustable stitch length and width, free...
Things To Remember
As a beginner sewist, you are looking for a machine that makes all this fun. You don’t want to have any barriers, such as awkward threading, or too many options.
Your first machine will probably not be your “forever” machine – don’t expect it to be. You are looking for a machine that can ease you in to the joys of sewing. A machine that will make the boring routines as seamless (no pun intended!) as possible, so you can focus on the fun aspects of creating projects. Or just get those repair chores out of the way as quickly as possible.
You probably don’t have a dedicated sewing space, so keep in mind that small is most definitely best. If you have a busy family life, you don’t want to be struggling to find a space for your machine on a kitchen table that’s already supporting children doing homework, the cat, and the family accounts!
Last update on 2018-06-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API