Rule Your Quilting Life!
Quilting rulers are tools usually used alongside rotary cutters to ensure that material to be used in a quilting pattern is cut to the exact size required.
If the size of even one “block” of fabric is out, the entire pattern of a quilt can be ruined. For this reason, most quilters, especially professionals, prefer to use a rotary cutter and quilting ruler, rather than a regular ruler and scissors, as the former ensures greater accuracy.
As you can imagine, with this need for precision, buying the right quilting ruler is incredibly important. That’s where our handy reviews come in.
Top Five Best Quilting Rulers – Reviews
As individual quilting needs will vary, we have not included a “Value For Money” section with these reviews, as what we think to be the best value quilting ruler overall may not be suitable for you and your project.
This is a versatile quilting ruler, which offers a range of ruler sizes to suit a variety of projects and needs.
Including perpendicular and angled bias lines, to help you create more elaborate patterns, this quilting ruler is let down by the fact that it doesn’t seem to sit square on fabric, and the ruler’s measurements don’t line up with the measurements guide on the same brand cutting mat, which can lead to confusion, frustration, and potential inaccuracy.
- Variety of sizes available
- Versatile quilting ruler
- Does not sit square
- Measurements do not line up with those on a cutting board
- O'Lipfa Ruler With Lip Edge features a special lip edge that works like a T-square against the edge of a cutting mat
- Offers perpendicular lines and angled bias lines
- Measures 5 by 24 inches
This non-slip quilting ruler stays in place on even very fine fabric, ensuring you get a precise, neat, and accurate cut.
This is an ideal ruler for triangle patterns, and is suitable for either right or left handed use.
It also has florescent number markings, which show up well against darker cutting mats and fabrics.
- Ambidextrous use
- Clearly visible florescent markings
- None that we could see
- Omnigrip Non-Slip Quilter's Ruler features a right and left handed numbering and angle system
- Triangle cuts are easier with the diagonal lines
- Has an extra 1/2 inch on two sides for seam allowance
This set comprises three quilting rulers, all designed for square quilting patterns, and all of different sizes, to enable more elaborate square quilt projects to be undertaken.
The rulers are made from sturdy plastic, and are durable and functional.
A good, basic quilting ruler set from those working with simpler patterns.
- Sturdy and durable
- 3 different sizes included
- All the same shape, although this is fine for simple quilting patterns.
- These rulers were designed to give you ultimate accuracy when it comes to measuring; marking and cutting your pieces out
- Rulers feature clear acrylic construction with black and yellow marking and instructions for use
- Package contains three Omnigrid rulers: 1 by 6-inch; 4 by 4-inch and 6 by 6-inch
This quilting ruler works well with rotary cutters, and is easy to read, even for those whose eyesight isn’t what it once was.
The only drawback is that this ruler is not non-slip, which, given the price, is somewhat of a let down.
- Markings clearly visible – easy to read
- Works well with rotary cutters
- Not non-slip
- Quilter's Rule Ruler Original 6.5"x 24" Black
- Quilter's Rule Rulers are designed to help make quilting and sewing projects easier and more efficient
- Creating fashions are quick, easy and lots of fun with each wonderful ruler
This is an ideal quilting ruler for creating Dresden Plates, a particularly attractive, abstract quilting pattern that looks somewhat like flowers.
This is a clear, basic ruler that is easy to use. An experienced quilter would doubtless be able to use it for far more than just Dresden Plates, and it is an affordable craft item.
- Easy to use
- Ideal for creating Dresden Plates.
- None that we could see!
- Easy dresden quilt tool and pattern instructions
- Clear ruler, plus bamboo pointer and creaser tool
- Step-by-step quilt instructions included
Last update on 2017-07-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API